PDA

View Full Version : Help with Script, Please

SteveL
10-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I'm pretty helpless (call me "Clueless") when it comes to writing scripts.

Here's what I'd like to do:

AFTER performing a Smart Update from MacintoshHD to USB Drive #1 using All Files;
Run a Script that initiates a Smart Update from MacintoshHD to USB Drive #2 using All Files.

(Note that both drives are connected at the beginning of the sequence.)

Is this even possible? Thanks,
Steve

PS Please don't ask, Why would you want to do that? :o

dnanian
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Sure, and it has nothing to do with writing scripts. Just create two schedules, one that runs a bit after the other. They'll run back to back.

SteveL
10-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Sure, and it has nothing to do with writing scripts. Just create two schedules, one that runs a bit after the other.
Thanks, Dave.

Question: Can these be independent of time of day? That is, can Sync #2 start 20 minutes after Sync #1, or must one start at 5:00, for example, and the other 5:20?

Thanks for your help, SL

dnanian
10-15-2008, 08:00 AM
They cannot be independent of time of day, unless you start them manually with the "Copy Now" button.

SteveL
10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
They cannot be independent of time of day, unless you start them manually with the "Copy Now" button.
Thanks Dave, which brings me back to my original objective: Is it possible to initiate the second Smart Update via a script? Thanks, -s

dnanian
10-15-2008, 10:20 PM
An AppleScript? Well, if you write it, sure: the schedule driver does this. But, you can just start one and then click "Copy now" from the other and it'll wait until the first is done. I don't know why you'd bother with a script.

SteveL
10-15-2008, 10:47 PM
thanks Dave. I'll mess with it. Thanks for your patience. As I said, I'm really clueless about what I'm doing, clueless to point of 'you're scaring me!' :) Best, -SL