PDA

View Full Version : Getting Super Duper to Delete First

Twitch
09-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone figure out a way to get Super Duper to delete files on the destination first when using smart backup?

I'm dealing with a large volume that changes often and Super Duper often fails (out of disk space) when mirroring to an identically sized volume. This gets really frustrating because a complete backup of the volume can take over 15 hours.

Is there another solution I should be looking at? I used to use Psync years ago, anyone know if it's still a viable backup option under Leopard?

dnanian
09-28-2008, 02:23 PM
There's no way to get SuperDuper! to do this, Twitch, at least at present.

rithban
10-05-2008, 01:11 PM
There's no way to get SuperDuper! to do this, Twitch, at least at present.

I'd suggest taking this into consideration as a backup strategy. The idea that there must be enough free space to include old AND new files doesn't seem to be useful.

I'm having the same problem on a drive that has temporary video files. The disk was nearly full. I deleted 69 GB of video, and added 32 GB of new video --- note that was 69GB in a single file, and 32GB in a single file.

"No space left on device."

If nothing else, perhaps you could create a queue of failed files and make a second pass, when space has been freed.

@Twitch: You could also look at using rsync from the command line. Be sure to include the -E switch to enable Apple extended attributes. Be darned careful with whether the directories have a trailing / or not; you could end up deleting lots of stuff you didn't intend. :)

rsync -EaSv --progress --delete /Volumes/Source/ /Volumes/Destination/