PDA

View Full Version : Want to get this right

fdwlaw
06-14-2005, 07:20 AM
A few questions:

1. In order to make a bootable clone I should name the clone the same as the internal hard drive (HD)?
2. If I have problems with my internal HD, ie. (dies, corrupt data) I can boot to the clone and continue on?
3. Can I clone from my cloned (external HD) copy back to my internal HD and not miss a beat?

Totally seperate "Other questions":
1. Since I have 2 computers and 1 of them dies can I use the cloned copy (external HD) to boot from the other computer even though the cloned copy name is different.
2. Once I get the computer that died back from repair shop, can I copy the cone back to the internal HD?

Thanks

dnanian
06-14-2005, 08:11 AM
fdwlaw:

1. You don't have to name the backup the same as the internal to make it bootable, but it's best if you do -- at least before booting -- so that aliases resolve to the copy and not the original drive.

2. Yes, as long as it's bootable (which is both a property of using the right script -- "Backup - all files" -- and having an OS X supported FireWire drive).

3. Yes, but the beats missed depend, of course, on how recent your backup is.

---

1a. That depends on the age of the computer & OS. If the computer is the same age or older than the OS on the other computer, it should work fine.

2a. Yes.

Hope that helps!