PDA

View Full Version : Target Firewire

gatorclaw1
07-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi,

Great product and support site.

When I get my new Mac Book Pro I wonder if I will be able to use a firewire to target my Power Mac G4 running 10.3.9. If possible I would like to use one of the 4 internal drives of the G4 to make a bootable copy of the disk in the Mac Book Pro (10.5)

I understand a firewire needs to be connect between the two and the T key held down while booting. But will the drive accept a bootable clone copy and will I be able to boot the clone copy. If yes, do I simply boot by holding down the T key?

I will appreciate any input.

dnanian
07-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't think that FireWire Target Disk mode 'exposes' all of the drives on the PowerMac, just the first one... and I don't think I'll do that...

gatorclaw1
07-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the prompt response.

I was under the impression that the firewire would target both master drives, but not the two slaves. I would leave the main HD with 10.3.9 alone, untouched and use the second master for a clone drive, But if what I say will work - will it be bootable?

dnanian
07-26-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't know; you'll have to try it.

gatorclaw1
07-26-2008, 01:24 PM
OK. If I do try it it will be at least two weeks in the future. I do not even have the new Mac Book yet. I will be sure to keep you posted if I attempt this. Thank you for you help!