PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Mirror Problem?

BigMac
07-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I just recently purchased a macbook that is partitioned so half of the hard drive is devoted to mac and half is devoted to windows, so that when I boot up, i can hold option and choose which to start from. I believe this is called dual boot? anyway, when I mirrored my hard drive to an external drive, it was successful in copying every file (including the windows files), but i just can't start up in windows now, because when i choose to boot from my external drive, it doesn't give me the further option of mac/windows. Is there a way to circumvent this problem by maybe doing separate backups for each partition, or maybe figuring out a way to boot from the windows side of my laptop once the mac side is open? help is appreciated, i don't want to do something unneeded like buying another HDD or something. thanks:)

dnanian
07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
We don't actually copy the Windows partition: we'd only copy the HFS+ volume you selected as the source...

BigMac
07-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Yeah my mac is set up sort of strange. I don't exactly know how it is set up, but the Windows half's hard drive will actually show up as another drive on the mac side's desktop and is labeled as Untitled. When i open it, i can view the windows files and folders and can even open them if i want (although most can't be read since they are windows). So the Windows side of the Mac is not side by side the Mac side, its under it or something. I'm not sure if i have a conventional partition.

dnanian
07-15-2008, 07:18 AM
That sounds like a conventional partition that's formatted as FAT32, unless you're running some other program that's 'showing you' a virtual drive.