PDA

View Full Version : error: convert failed image to large--what do I do.

dearborn
07-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I am doing a standard backup of all files to an image file and when everything is finished backing up it fails to conver. See the log below. I have done this twice and it has the same error in the end. What is happenuing and how do I fix this. I have used Superduper before and never had this problem.. :confused:

dnanian
07-13-2008, 11:41 AM
This is something we see on some systems when converting to read-only. Since this is an intermittent bug in hdiutil, part of OSX we didn't write, I strongly suggest you use a read/write "sparse" image instead of a read-only DMG.

dearborn
07-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks, but in the past I just chose the backup all files and it created a sparse image by itself. Have I done something differently or is there a preference i am missing?

Also I just got thru reinstalling the 10.3.9 from scratch using my original disk which came with my computer Powerbook PC 1.33 GHz,17" Aluminum, then used the combo update to 10.3.9. I have been running the system as before and every time I have used this in the past , before reinstall, I got a sparse image by default. Have I done something different? Thanks for your help.

dnanian
07-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Not sure I understand. You'd only get an image if you picked "Disk image..." in the destination pop-up, and the image type is in there (it defaults to Read/Write "Sparse" Image). You won't get an image if you pick an actual backup volume as the destination...