PDA

View Full Version : Weird Question

fdwlaw
06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
I want my iMac G5 20" rev A (old) and my iMac G5 17" rev B (new), to have the same identical look, meaning applications, OS, and data.

New iMac 17" specs:
combo cd drive
iLife05
Tiger
Airport & Bloothooth

Old iMac 20" specs:
superdrive
iLife04
Tiger "upgrade"
Bloothooth

I was thinking I could migrate all the data and applications from my old iMac to my new iMac.

1) Then clone my new iMac using SD to an external firewire hard drive (HD).
2) Then clone to the old iMac from the external HD.

If it will work I would have a cloned copy to and external HD that will work for both computer.

Will it work?

Thanks

dnanian
06-05-2005, 11:48 AM
The new OS should work fine on the old mac, so that sounds like a plan that will work.

fdwlaw
06-06-2005, 07:01 AM
I did the transfer from the old to the new (which worked), I checked all the applications on the "new" and eveything worked except "SD". I tried everything to no avail. I kept getting a message from SD that "error could not disable permissions". I removed the check (ignore permissions) on the volume, restarted the drive, repaired disk ect.

So I guess my question would be: is my purchased version of SD okay to use on both my computers?

Thanks,

dnanian
06-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Check the FAQ, fdwlaw: the problem you're hitting is covered in detail in a recent entry.

Regarding your purchase, yes, as an individual you can use it on your own computers. Our general feeling is this: if you decide you're getting more than $20 of value, you're welcome to register additional copies.