PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox

tuni
07-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Have been using SD for a couple of months and have not yet used Sandbox however I can see that it would be smart to do so.

When I set up my LaCie 500 gb external I partitioned it as follows: 320 GB (for SD) and 145 GB (for future needs). I have an iMac with 320 GB.Have used approximately 81GB to-date.

1st question:

Reviewing the manual for using Sandbox, it appears to me that my partitions on the external LaCie would be fine and I could use Sandbox on the smaller (145 GB) partition. Since that's done already, I wouldn't have to re-do the partitioning would I?

2nd question:

Reading the section(page 59) on partitioning. I think it is telling me to partition my iMac HD as well! The manual says "partition the original drive." Yipes! I would obviously lose everything that's on it now, depending upon the cloned SD to boot up and run everything that was on the HD. Why would I have to do that? I guess I don't understand even after reading and rereading the Sandbox instructions.

Could use some simple explanations before i get into something that I'm not sure of...

Many thanks,
Tuni

dnanian
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
That's right, using an existing partition is fine. The re-partitioning is if you want to put a Sandbox on your laptop, and it'd be inconvenient to use an external drive because you're mobile.

tuni
07-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Ah Ha - Light bulb going off in brain.

I couldn't figure that out, of course, the discussion re. repartitioning the HD was under the topic of laptops but I just wasn't sure.

Looks less frightening now. Will try to get Sandbox up and running this week.

Many thanks for your help, even on the 4th of July!!! Have a Happy :D

dnanian
07-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks, you too!