PDA

View Full Version : My mac internal HD does not show

djlynch
06-28-2008, 04:55 PM
We just had a power outage and i turned on mac and it did not boot from the internal but instead my firewire external that I use to backup intenral everynight with SD!

I just loaded a ton of home movies from my camera today and did not backup yet. Is there anyway I can find the internal? It does not show in the startup disk list? Help.

dnanian
06-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I'd power everything off, disconnect the backup drive and wait a few, then try powering back up again. If it doesn't work, you might need to try repairing with Disk Utility.

Keep your backup safe!

djlynch
06-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks Dave. I tried powering off and disconnecting. no luck, still no drive. Just clicking. I have a sick feeling right now.
In Disk utility the drive is not on the list.

dnanian
06-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Clicking's not good, unfortunately. When is the backup from?

djlynch
06-28-2008, 05:41 PM
this morning 3:31am. Normally no big deal, but today I HAD to take 2 months worth of movies and videos off and erased my CF cards tat originals were on. I did this early afternoon when a bolt of lightning and heavy thunderstorms caused a power outage. I backup everymorning but lost some really important videos/pics.

Is there anything I can do?

I turned off SD! scheduled backup since the internal is gone.

dnanian
06-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, you can try something like Data Rescue II, and see if it can see the drive(s)...

djlynch
06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks Dave. I just downloaded demo of Data Rescue and the drive still does not show as a volume choice. :(

dnanian
06-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Might be time to contact one of the data recovery firms, unfortunately.

djlynch
06-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I'm going at a different way...using photo recovery software to get the pics of my cf card. Still can't get the movies off the SD card I erased...any ideas on a sd card recovery software.

Also, Now my imac boots from my firewire drive. I have a 2nd firewire drive. Can I plug the 2nd into my imac and just do my normal SD scheduled backup to it? no problem right?

dnanian
06-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I believe Data Rescue has a card version, too. And, sure, you can back up to the other FW drive (assuming no FW issues).