PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this? Upgrading MBpro to Leopard AND HD

midget2000x
06-18-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a macbook pro core 2 duo running tiger, and I want to to two things: 1. upgrade the internal drive from the 120G 5400rpm one to a new 200G 7200rpm. I also want to upgrade to leopard without having to conmpletely re-install all my apps, preferences, etc. I've got a million little shell scripts and crons, etc that I don't have time to re-install.

Anyone have any suggestions? Here's what I have:

1. Superduper! (what's the best process to get this done)?
2. new 200G 2.5" drive
3. 2.5" SATA USB drive enclosure

I was thinking of trying to do the leopard install/upgrade on the drive externally first (before putting it in the case) because as this is my primary work computer, I can't risk much downtime. I'd like to have the OS upgraded and working with all my apps and scripts BEFOREinstalling it in the case.

Any help on how to accomplish all this is appreciated!

dnanian
06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
I'd swap the drives, clean install Leopard to the internal and -- assuming yoru crons and scripts are in your Home folder -- copy from the original when prompted to "Copy from another Mac".

Alternatively, copy using SD! ("Backup - all files") to the new drive, properly partitioned as "GUID" with "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format. Upgrade the copy to Leopard. Make sure it's as you want. Then swap drives.