PDA

View Full Version : Using SuperDuper in office for multiple automatic backups

mrogers
05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm trying to figure out a backup solution for an office of about 10 designers and developers, all on Macs. I think we're going to purchase a Drobo and some drives totalling betweein 1.5TB and 2.0TB and make it available to all our machines on our internal network.

I want to have everyone's drives backed up periodically (a couple times a week maybe). My question is -- if someone's not plugged in to the LAN at the moment the SuperDuper backup tries to fire, what happens? Is there any way for it to fail silently and try again later? We spend a fair amount of time out of the office at meetings and stuff, and may not always be on the LAN -- but I can't depend on some of my colleagues to initiate backup themselves, so I definitely would need some sort of scheduling. Would SuperDuper work well in this type of environment?

dnanian
05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
It'll certainly work OK, yes, but we don't 'postpone' scheduled copies until you're on a network. Instead, the backup will try to run and fail... and will run again the next time it's scheduled to.

mrogers
05-30-2008, 10:04 AM
What will happen if it can't connect to the specified backup location? I assume it will just pop up a box, the user will dismiss it, and that's it? Can it be set to silently fail -- no alert box?

dnanian
05-30-2008, 10:18 AM
No, it won't silently fail. It'll start SuperDuper!, and SD! will stay up with an error.