PDA

View Full Version : Backing up a PowerBook G4 to a Mac Pro

shirtuser1989
05-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Using Super Duper I backed up my PowerPC based PowerBook G4 to an extra hard drive on my Intel Mac Pro.
After putting in a new hard drive in the PowerBook G4 I restored the files to the new hard drive.
Now when I start the PowerBook G4 I receive an alternating ? and a Mac logo within a folder.
I still have the original hard drive.
What can I do to get the back-up working properly on the PowerBook G4?
Thank you for looking.

dnanian
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
It sounds like the new drive isn't properly partitioned. You need to partition it as "Apple Partition Map" using the "Options" button in the Partition tab of Disk Utility...

shirtuser1989
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Thank you dnanian. I partitioned the drive and now I am copying the information to the new hard drive. I will let you know how it goes.

shirtuser1989
05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Hmnn. I get the same logo after I partitioned the drive.
Does the name of the volume need to be the same on the new one as it was on the old hard drive?

dnanian
05-12-2008, 12:55 PM
No, though that's best. You used "Backup - all files" and set the new drive as the startup volume?

shirtuser1989
05-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Dave, thanks again for your help.

I did choose the option"Backup - all files". I then placed them on one of my hard drives on my Mac Pro. I then put my new hard drive in the notebook. I re-opened SuperDuper! and then choose to copy the back-up I did to the new hard drive.

How do you choose the new drive as the startup volume?

dnanian
05-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Use the Startup Disk preference pane to do it... or, choose the option in SuperDuper! to restart from the destination drive.

shirtuser1989
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks dnanian.
I choose to copy the files from my backup to my new hard drive on the notebook. I also choose to restart the computer using the new hard drive on completion. I'll let you know what happens.

shirtuser1989
05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Same result.
Let me clarify what I've done.
I connected a Firewire cable between my PowerBook G4 and my Mac Pro.
I turning the notebook while pressing the letter T. This gave me access to Firewire Transport Mode.
I opened up Super Duper! on my Mac Pro and choose to "Backup-up all files" to a hard drive on the Mac Pro. The copy was successful.
I replaced the hard drive on the notebook.
I then booted the notebook with the new hard drive while pressing T.
This enabled my Mac Pro to see the notebook. I then opened Super Duper! and
then told it to copy the contents of the hard drive that contained my back-up of the old hard drive to the new one.
It completes w/o any issues and when in Transport Mode I see the same exact files that existed on the back-up.
The problem is that I still receive the flashing ? and mac logo when I start the notebook with the new hard drive.

What am I missing? Thanks for you help!

dnanian
05-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Ah, you're doing this from an entirely different computer. If you hold down Option when you power on the Powerbook, do you get the new drive as a startup choice?

shirtuser1989
05-12-2008, 10:40 PM
I get to icons. One appears to look like a reload icon and the other is an arrow that point to the right. I click on the reload icon and I receive a spinning wheel for a few moments then nothing. When I click on the arrow nothing happens.
Urgh..

dnanian
05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
And you're sure the G4 is properly partitioned as "Apple Partition Map"?

shirtuser1989
05-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks Dave. I will double check it tomorrow morning and then let you know.

shirtuser1989
05-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Dave, o the shame. It was not partitioned as Apple Partition Map. I am currently copying the information over. It will update this post in the morning. I'm sure that was the issue.
Thank you for your patience and experience.

dnanian
05-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Glad you were able to discover the cause!

shirtuser1989
05-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Dave, it now works perfectly. Thanks again for all your help. I happily look forward in purchasing the software.
Cheers!