PDA

View Full Version : Drive not recognized in Startup Disk Preference panel

2stepbay
04-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Dave

Using 10.5.2 on an iBook. Using a LaCie firewire external drive for SD backup. No problem backing up clone to the drive. Yet, when I select the Startup Disk in System Preferences, the bootable partition made via SD is not visible. Yet, I can boot from the external drive by holding down the option key on the restart.

Suggestions? Thanks

dnanian
04-26-2008, 06:12 PM
It's not properly partitioned: it needs to be "GUID" partitioned with Disk Utility.

2stepbay
04-26-2008, 06:18 PM
>It's not properly partitioned: it needs to be "GUID" partitioned with Disk Utility.

Rats! Thanks for the heads-up. Back to the drawing board.

2stepbay
04-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Reformatted the drive into 2 partitions - one for storage, the other for the bootable clone. Drive partition map scheme is GUID Partition Table. After the clone was successfully created, restarted the computer. Drive still does not show up on the Startup Disk panel.

Not sure why this isn't working? Appreciate any other suggestion.

Thanks

dnanian
04-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Ack: wait. This is your iBook (sorry, read the big, bold iMac Intel at the bottom and missed the iBook). Sorry, 2stepbay, it needs to be "Apple Partition Map".

2stepbay
04-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Ack: wait. This is your iBook (sorry, read the big, bold iMac Intel at the bottom and missed the iBook). Sorry, 2stepbay, it needs to be "Apple Partition Map".

Double Ack:eek::eek:

OK. I guess I'm supposed to be practicing endurance/patience/compassion and a host of other redeeming qualities.;) No worries, i'll redo the drive. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

2stepbay
04-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Drive is now visible on the Startup Disk Panel. Thanks again.:)

dnanian
04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
You bet. Sorry for the previous misfire.