PDA

View Full Version : My 1st SD backup, apparently incomplete.

marck
04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I just purchased and installed SD and did my 1st backup. I have 3 hard drives in my Mac Pro. My main boot drive and then 2 1TG internal drives, one for my video files and the other for backing up the drive with the video files.

I just attempted to copy all files from the one drive (video) to the other. When I came back it appeared to be done. The program was not running and there were no error messages. However, when I go to "Finder" and compare the two drives they have different amounts, as follows:
Drive 1 (source) 567.34GB used
Drive 2 (target) 534.51GB used

When I look at the first couple of levels of folders, there is the same number of folders (101). I haven't gone through all the folders, and subfolders, etc, manually to try to figure out where they differ.

Any suggestions as to why SD apparently isn't doing the job or what I should do to sort it out?
Thanks,
Marc

dnanian
04-20-2008, 06:30 PM
It's quite likely you either have a lot of temporary files/swap files (which aren't copied, since they have no meaning across a restart), or you have a 'bad' mount point. To see, eject your external drive(s). Then, use Finder's "Go To Folder" command to open

/Volumes

Once there, look for a folder -- not a link/alias. If you find one, delete it, and the sizes should be closer.

marck
04-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm new to Mac and want to make sure I understand fully. 1st of all, the drive I'm copying and the target drive are internal, not external. Do you still want me to eject them?

You want me to type in "/volume" at the "Go to Folder" command, correct?

I then look for a folder? Any folder? What exactly is this folder? Is it OK to delete it?

The source drive only contains files/folders put there by iMovie. I have used that drive for nothing else so far. I have been importing all my home movies via iMovie and have iMovie store them on this drive. Are these "swap files" or "temporary files" something I need or that iMovie uses?

What is meant by a "bad mount point"? How can I tell which problem it is (other something else entirely)?

Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for the help.
Marc

dnanian
04-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Ah, so your source drive is not your startup drive, it's an entirely separate drive?

If you could, please send me the log from the copy using the "Send to shirt pocket" button. I'd like to take a look. Thanks.

marck
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Correct. I have a 500GB startup drive that has everything on it except my video files. Let's call that Drive 1. I then added in two 1TB internal drives; one for video files and the other for backup of my video files. Let's call those drives 2 and 3, respectively. The attempted SD task I performed is copying all files from drive 2 to drive 3.

I am backing up my startup drive (drive 1) to an external FW drive via TM.

I have sent you the log.

dnanian
04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks; as I indicated in the response to that, the difference looks to be all the files you have in the trash on the source drive.

marck
04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
OK. That makes sense. It never occurred to me. I didn't realize that the drive would have its own trash. How do I see the trash for that drive? Does it account for the 33GB difference between the source and target?

dnanian
04-20-2008, 07:23 PM
It certainly looks like it; there are a zillion large .dv files in there. (See the log.)

I think you'll see them listed in your 'regular' trash can. Emptying the trash should empty the trash on that drive, too.

marck
04-21-2008, 11:16 AM
You are correct. I emptied the trash and now the amount of data on the two drives matches exactly. Thanks for the timely and helpful answer.
Marc

dnanian
04-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Glad I could help, Marc -- thanks for the follow-up.