PDA

View Full Version : TM & SuperDuper Questions

tuni
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
HI,

My 1st time here and I'm probably in the wrong thread but am trying to figure out how this discussion group works. I have an iMac 300 GB, I back up with Time Machine to external drive "My book" consistently.

However, I have just downloaded SuperDuper and am awaiting a 2nd external drive (500 GB) Firewire which I want to use as a clone for my iMac. Therefore I will be using both external drives. I think I can "clone" my iMac using SD on a scheduled basis IF I turn TM off or unplug the "My Book" from the iMac.

I'm thinking I can continue to use TM with the "My Book" on a daily basis and then do a scheduled clone to the new external drive with SD on a weekly basis. How would I do this is my question....I think I have to turn TM off and unplug the "My Book" allowing me to use SD with the new drive without interference but I'm not sure.

Could use some advice as I'm a total novice with this....
many thanks,

dnanian
04-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi, "tuni". You'll want to configure Time Machine to ignore (not back up) the backup volume. You'll then partition it properly (search around on the forums for instructions), and back up to it with SuperDUper; should work fine.

tuni
04-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Dave,

I don't think I explained what I want to do very well. I'll try to be more clear:

I already am backing up the iMac with Time Machine to an external drive "My Book". This is an automatic process so far.

I have just ordered & received another external drive, a "LaCie" D2 Quadra (500 GB Firewire & USB) and that's what I want SD to Clone to, maybe on a weekly basis.

My thoughts are to continue the daily backups with TM on the older drive (My Book from Western Digital) and then on a weekly basis use SD (not TM) to clone on to the LACIE external FW drive.

What I want to know is how to do that (weekly) cloning on to the LACIE without getting TM involved in the cloning and yet retain the TM daily backups to the "My Book" external drive.

Does that make any more sense? I DON'T want the SD Clone and the TM Backup on the SAME external drive!

I want to use the 2 different drives for each separate process and don't know how to set each one up to do it.

Obviously I don't want to impact the TM backup process which is working fine and backs up to the "My Book" external drive.

I'm thinking I have to disconnect the "My Book" to do this and then set a preference in TM NOT to backup while SD is creating the clone on the LACIE?

HOpefully, this clarifies my question.....I'm sorry for the confusion.

many thanks,

dnanian
04-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I understand exactly what you meant. But Time Machine will try to back up the new drive. So, you need to tell it to NOT back that drive up. (Once you've partitioned it properly, etc.)

Apart from that you shouldn't have to change anything.

tuni
04-11-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks Dave,
Now I understand what you meant. I should be able to set my option in TM not to back up the new LACIE & SD.

I was not going to partition the LACIE (500GB FW) at all since I will only be using it for SD and the clone of the iMac it creates, and my iMac (300 GB HD) isn't partitioned.

Would you agree on that logic?

dnanian
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
That's fine; just realize that you can't use it for anything other than the backup if you don't partition it.