PDA

View Full Version : Using SD! without TM

Srip
04-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Hi,

I've read the posts about using SD! in combination with TM but I don't want to use TM.

Every night I let SD! backup my Mac, and every morning I sit down behind my computer I get a notice from TM asking to which drive it should save.
As far as I can tell SD! makes a good backup so I don't wan TM to do anything.
I've turned TM off, but it still wants to do something. How do I beat TM into submission?

Thanks!
Srip

dnanian
04-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Can't you just turn it off in the Time Machine preference pane?

Srip
04-11-2008, 12:24 PM
You'd think that would work indeed. After I got the first msg I turned TM off, but that doesn't seem to work.
Funny thing is, TM only started giving me those notices since I've set up a schedule in SD

izik5
04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
If you're not going to use TM at all, there is a hidden preference to turn off the nag, however it won't ever ask again, you'll have to either reverse the preference or set the disk manually via the TM Preference Pane

http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20080109213724586

And if you're not a fan of terminal...

http://secrets.textdriven.com/
*the preference is listed under TM

As an aside, to my knowledge TM only asks this once per external disc and then records the dismissal (not sure where, possibly 'Volume/External Drive/.com.apple.timemachine.supported'?). Is it possible that SuperDuper is clearing the previously recorded dismissal when it clones the primary drive (which wouldn't have a dismissal b/c it's a system drive)

dnanian
04-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Did you schedule an "erase, then copy" backup, perhaps? Time Machine "grabs" the drive as soon as it's erased, and since it keep track of previously "prompted" drives by UUID, and we don't get a chance to restore it until it's already prompted, that could be your problem.

To solve, delete your schedule and schedule a "Smart Update" Backup instead.

Srip
04-12-2008, 04:40 AM
@izik5 Thanks, I'm going to look into it. But I'm thinking dnanian has a point about the "erase, then copy" backup.
I'm going to set up that new schedule and see if that helps. If that doesn't I'll see if I can turn of that nag like you suggested.

Thank you for your help :)

Srip
04-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Wow! well... obviously it works because I just now remember that I'm not getting the warnings every morning :D

Thank you both for thinking along dnanian and izik5!