PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Restarts

Belia
03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
My MacBook has a problem: it spontaneous restarts whenever you dont' expect it. Since I give webtrainings and use this machine for demo's I have a serious problem here. Apple found no hardware problems. Last week I formatted the machine, I was confinced the problem should be over.

You guessed... it isn't over. Yesterday the problem came up again.

Why this issue on this forum? Because this morning I made a stupid mistake in backing up according to a new genius system I had figured out. Not as genius as I thought: it deleted the complete system on my main machine (which is not my MacBook), only some userfiles where leftover.

Thanx to SD all I had to do was put back the deleted system from my clone and I was fit and running again. This clone was freshly made from the same main machine. I only had worked a few hours on about 10 files on the clone on my MacBook (startup disk from MacBook, I didn't start up from the clone).

And now come the clue: since I put back the system from the clone my main machine had the same problem as my MacBook, it restarts as it likes!!!!! How is this possible??? The clone I put back is an exact copy from the original system on the main machine. Only about 10 files are changed. What else has there been going on between MacBook and Clone and main Machine?

dnanian
03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think it's at all related, Belia! Copying to a different Mac won't change the system on the original...

Belia
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
No, I don't think that the system on the clone changes by restoring it.

The clone was originally from the main machine. I just worked on a few files on the clone with my macBook. Ofcourse that shouldn't touch anything in the system on the clone.

So the clone is still the same as it was on the main machine, just a few (html, doc, pdf, psd) files are edited.

Then I need to copy the sytem of the clone to the main machine grace to my not so genius action.

And then my main machine has the same problem as the MacBook!!!! Which problem is already so rare nobody seems to be able to help me out. It is a one-year old MacBookPro. Too bad to just throw it away...

Don't you think it is far too coincidental the main machine has developed the same problem all by itself right after I copied the sytem from the clone on which I just have been working with the sick MacBook.There MUST be clue. SuperDuper is the one thing that binds the two together....

Besides that, the restarts on my MacBook started again (after formatting) after installing SuperDuper! But that is far too much I think, suppose that ís coincidental...

dnanian
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
No, I don't think that's a clue -- when we're not running, we're not doing anything at all!

Belia
03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
So the clone I made from the main machine (when it was still in good shape) is exactly the same besides the few files I opened, worked on, and saved.

When I copied the complete clone back it didn't take anything else, new, along besides the few files I worked on.

Is that correct?

Let me be clear, it sounds complete logic to me that this is the case... but how on earth is it possible that this restart-thing now right after the copying back, also exists on my main machine... this is too coincidental don't you think?

dnanian
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
I have no idea, Belia -- I can just tell you it has nothing to do with the copy "away" from it.

Belia
03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
You mean away from the main machine and away from macBook (which is the diseased one) I suppose.

Ok, thanx.

Belia
03-31-2008, 02:20 PM
You mean away from the main machine ánd away from macBook (which is the diseased one) I suppose.

Ok, thanx.

dnanian
03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Exactly. Nothing was copied to the main machine...