PDA

View Full Version : Restarts now slower in Leopard 10.5.1 ?

James Dunn
03-21-2008, 07:09 PM
I’ve just made my first full bootable backup on a partitioned firewire drive, which rebooted nicely. Great job! I also made an bootable image file to store elsewhere.

When I made the full backup, I held the "shift key" down.

Now, whenever I restart the computer (macpro, dual 2.8, 8 gig ram) the computer takes quite a bit longer to come backup. The white screen hangs for several seconds longer and then the blue, and then it all comes together.

Do you know what might be causing this? Is SD! telling the system startup to look for the firewire drive as a first bootable disk and then (when it can’t find it, because I’ve disconnected it) does it go out looking for my internal first drive bay? Could that be causing the slowness. I'm certain that it is delayed on restarts now.

Thanks for your help. JD

dnanian
03-21-2008, 07:13 PM
No, it's definitely not doing that unless you "told" it to by selecting that in the "On succesful completion" option. And you can reset that easily (and choose the proper startup drive in the Startup Disk preference pane).

joster.macedo
04-25-2008, 12:19 PM
James,

I´m having the exactly same problem you had. Have you found a solution? I also have a MacPro with 10 GB of memory that takes 3-4 minutes to show the login screen. After login everything is as fast as supposed to be. This started after I transfered my Leopard installation to a bigger drive. BTW I´m using 10.5.2.

Anyone can help?

Joster Macedo

dnanian
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think there's necessarily a 'fix' for this, Joster. They removed that "loading" screen that was present in previous versions of OSX, and it takes a while for the login screen to come up.

It might just take a while for the "hotfiles" boot cache to regenerate to the point where things 'feel' as fast as they did in your previous Leopard setup...

joster.macedo
04-25-2008, 01:54 PM
dnanian,

it takes much more time to boot (from seconds to minutes). How many boots should it take to the cache to regenerate and things came back to normal again?

I just switched from Windows, and although I´m using computers for more than 20 years, this is my first Mac (for just three weeks now!).

I´m just hope I don´t have to reinstall MacOS.

Thanks,

Joster

dnanian
04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't know, but I wouldn't reinstall the OS: just leave it for a while and things'll likely be back to normal in a few weeks.