PDA

View Full Version : Automatically disable Spotlight on cloned volume

thewolf
03-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi,

I'm experimenting with the trial version of SuperDuper! on Mac OS X 10.5.2.

I've used it to fully clone my MacBook Pro internal drive to an external Lacie drive using the FireWire connection.

The cloning process works fine, but then Spotlight will start indexing the cloned volume.

I've seen the FAQ (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361) about disabling Spolight, but that doesn't seem to help: I've already added the external volume to the Spolight Privacy tab before the cloning, but after the process it's gone, I've to re-add it manually.

Any ideas on how to automatically prevent Spotlight to index the volume just cloned?

Thanks.

dnanian
03-15-2008, 10:52 AM
The spotlight status is maintained when you use Smart Update -- is that what you're using?

thewolf
03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
The spotlight status is maintained when you use Smart Update -- is that what you're using?
Nope, I'm using having SD erase the volume and then do a full copy.

Thanks.

dnanian
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
That's why: the spotlight information is actually stored on the drive that gets erased.

thewolf
03-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure I'm following you: how do I prevent the Spotlight indexing then with SD doing an erase and full copy?

Thanks.

dnanian
03-15-2008, 06:15 PM
You'd add it to the Privacy tab after the copy is complete.

thewolf
03-15-2008, 06:30 PM
That's what I've been doing ...

Any chances to see a feature added to a future SD release that will take care of this automatically?

Thanks.

dnanian
03-15-2008, 06:33 PM
On an erase backup? I'm not sure that would be appropriate, since the drive is erased, and this would be data on that drive. Perhaps Apple will modify Spotlight to not store the spotlight "ignore" state on the drive itself (similar to the way Time Machine stores its "ignore a volume" state on the startup drive, rather than on the drive).

You can always run a shell script to turn spotlight off automatically, should you want to: but, in general, it's quite rare that you'd do an erase-then-copy anyway -- you'll nearly always be doing Smart Updates, and in that case the state (and index) is fully preserved).

rlfsoso
03-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi,

well if you buy SD and THEN are able to use smartUpdate, spotlight should behave. It really is an investment which pays off!!

Greetings,

Rolf