PDA

View Full Version : Problem for newbie...

Djeff
03-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi,
I bought SD yesterday, and so far it is not working for me... Here's what I'd like to do:

I want to back up my MacBookPro (Tiger 10. 4 11) to a Iomega MiniMax Firewire 500 gig drive that I also bought yesterday for that purpose... SD failed the back up and looking at the log it said something like: "...unable to copy Absynth soundfiles due to an input output error..." I deleted that file, and it seems like it was still not working... Then after looking on the web I read somewhere that it might work better if the firewire drive has a GUID partition. I created the GUID partition with Disk Utility.

I'm now trying it again, but it doesn't look like it is working...

Can you tell me what am I doing wrong..

Thanx

Djeff
03-14-2008, 06:03 PM
My latest attempt has failed again... Now the log says "... Users/Library/Mail/LSMMap2: Input/output error"

thanx

dnanian
03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
It's likely physical damage to source or destination; the Troubleshooting section of the User's Guide should help you determine what, exactly, is going on...

Djeff
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanx for the quick reply Dave, and you were right, I had to get another drive... Now everything is copied fine, although I realized that the option "create disk image after the copy" was unselected. So since I want to use my new MacBookPro with everything I copied with SD, should I recopy everything with the disk image option selected or can SD create a disk image with what's already copied? Or can I restore my new Mac without a disk image?

I'm sorry with all the questions... I'm just a little bit freaked out with the whole process...

Thank you

dnanian
03-17-2008, 03:57 PM
No, that option is not what you think it is -- in general it should not be used. You should be all set.