PDA

View Full Version : Another Mounting problem...

hiroshisugi
02-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I am unable to mount from my SuperDuper copy but only under some circumstances:

(a) start-up works fine if I select my SuperDuper copy as a start-up volume under system preferences.
(b) start-up does not work if I shut down the computer and then restart with the option key pressed. I only see the original hard drive as a start up volume. Same, if I start up with option-command-shift-delete. I only get the little folder with the question mark...
(c) interestingly, it does work if I select restart... (instead of shut down...). Then the copy is recognized and is mounted correctly.

This behavior is new with Leopard (10.5.2) and/or SuperDuper 2.5. The very same firewire drive (LaCie 500GB) worked fine under 10.4 and SuperDuper 2. (FYI my computer is a PowerBook G4).

Any suggestions???

dnanian
02-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Sounds like something new in Leopard with this particular drive... the drive itself seems properly configured, given that it works in some cases...

bharoche
02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
For what it's worth, from my own experience and a bit of googling, it appears that others are having trouble with Leopard recognizing/mounting external drives. Got worse for me with the 10.5.2 OS update.

Solution I found was to un-connect everything from my machine (an aluminum iMac), including the power cord, wait 15 seconds and re-connect. That re-sets something (can't recall what). Earlier/other model macs require a different set of instructions.

I suggest googling "leopard not mounting firewire" and start there.