PDA

View Full Version : Warning on missed scheduled backup?

jgarbers
02-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I just realized I've been working without a net for a while... I thought that SD would wake up the Mac from sleep in order to do its backup. I've fixed the problem now (guess I'll know for sure tomorrow morning) but I'm still concerned that I didn't know that the backups weren't taking place.

I've set things up so I have a persistent Growl notification for both successful and unsuccessful scheduled backups -- so if I don't see a Growl box from SD in the morning, I'll know something went wrong. But that assumes I'm coherent enough in the morning to remember to notice that something is not on my screen.

May I suggest that SD display a warning message - or perhaps a Growl notification - at startup if it detects that one or more scheduled backups were missed?

dnanian
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, we only run at the moment you've scheduled us for, so we have no way to know that a backup was missed. But this is something we're looking at for the uture.

jgarbers
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Understood that unless you have something running, you can't tell me anything... but I'd be completely happy with a warning that would appear when I launched SD manually, for whatever reason.

Basically what I'm looking for is an easy way to say "hey, SD, how's it going?" and have it say "okay, but I missed a backup last night because X happened". I'd do this when I've made changes to my SD schedule, changed options, etc.