PDA

View Full Version : What does Edit > Show All Copy Scripts do? (seriously)

Darkside
05-12-2005, 01:18 AM
This may seem like a silly question, but really, what does it do? ;) I select it, and then the menu item is checked, but I don't notice any visible changes in the program or its operation.

What am I missing? I know this is going to be painfully obvious, but I'm oblivious right now. :D

dnanian
05-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Nope, it's a bug. We should just remove this menu entry, and I've logged a case against it.

The basic reason for the checkbox was to allow all the copy scripts, including the ones that aren't show to the user, to be displayed in the menu. As the "UI Guy", it's not something that I particular wanted, and considering that no one has noticed that it was broken until this very minute, I'm not sure anyone else wants it either!

I'll suggest removing it in v2.0. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Darkside
05-12-2005, 10:51 AM
As the "UI Guy", it's not something that I particular wanted, and considering that no one has noticed that it was broken until this very minute, I'm not sure anyone else wants it either!
What I would like is a cleaner way of viewing/editing all available Copy Scripts (standard and custom) within SD, rather than having to open a bunch of files in the Finder. It would also be great to quickly view which scripts include and are included by other scripts, and then quickly view the specifics those other scripts.

For me, a feature like that would have quickly demystified the perceived voodoo of the "behind the scenes" Copy Scripts that do the work of the primary Backup and "Sandbox" scripts. I'm probably a little bit more curious in this respect than the average user (case in point: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356), but it seems that an interface like this would enhance the usability of SD's potential power. (That didn't sound quite as much like marketing-speak in my head. :))

I know you're going to be addressing the Copy Scripts name and interface in 2.0, and on your blog (I'm holding you to that "subject for another post" comment you made in "SuperDuper! design error #78,272" :)). I'll leave the specifics up to the UI geniuses that you are; it's no small feat to make something as traditionally complex as perfectly backup up your life / hard drive as simple as SD makes it seem.

dnanian
05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
The "Copy Scripts" name might not be changed in 2.*0*, because I'm still stuck on what it should be. But it, and its UI, will get looked at in the 2.x series unless something with more user impact bumps up on the list.

We're consciously "hiding" the power of the Copy Scripts behind SD!'s UI. But, while I don't to expose "regular users" to them too much, I want to make the basic functionality more usable than it is right now, while not over-investing in it (thus penalizing the higher-impact issues). It's a tough line to toe, or row to hoe (or insert your own personal favorite cliché here), but I think we've done well so far... thanks for noticing!