PDA

View Full Version : Almost off topic: slow copying

Massimo
02-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey there,

This perhaps does not have so much to do with SuperDuper! but I seem to experience a major degradation of copy speed after switching to Leopard / SD! 2.5. Now I haven't really done any backup of my major drives since I switched to Leopard, also because I really needed the new version of SD!.

But - before the switch, I could successfully back up one 1TB drive to another (via FW800), in approx. 1.5-2 hours (OS X 10.4 + prev. version of SD!). Now, it takes 6+ hours. The effective copy speed is 22-27mb/sec. This is extremely slow. :eek:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75&stc=1&d=1202457456

I can see that this probably does not have anything to do with SD! directly but with Leopard itself(?).
Does any one of you have similar problems? Any pointers? :confused:

Cheers,
Massimo

dnanian
02-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Try adding the destination to the Spotlight Preference Pane's "Privacy" list.

Massimo
02-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks - that helped. Hadn't figured out that Leopard didn't remember this setting back from 10.4. Also found out that one of the cables in the chain was a USB 2.0 (erroneously put there) - after replacing it with a FW800 cable and making sure that the drives weren't overheating, everything went back to normal... Except for one thing, but I'll post that in a separate thread... :-) Thanks for the help!