PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question (or temporary loss of memory)

patrickm
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
If I remember correctly, doesn't the drive booted from appear at the top? The drives show on my desktop on the right in this order: Macintosh HD, WINDOWS_XP, Storage, Backup. Macintosh HD is the drive I booted from. The backup is the where Super Duper backs up too.
After I backed up to the "Backup" drive, I decided to boot from it. When I did, the order of the drives stayed the same. Just by looking at my desktop I couldn't tell which drive I booted from. I could go to System Preferences and see but shouldn't the Backup drive appear at the top of the list? The backup drive is FW800.
Maybe my mind is going. It happens when one gets "old".

patrickm

PS: I was reading about the icon issue. I just copy and paste whatever icon I want. No big deal.

dnanian
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think this is necessarily guaranteed. Check the "About this Mac" menu to determine what drive is the startup drive.

patrickm
02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks dnanian. I wasn't quite sure. I don't want to accidently write to the Backup drive. Maybe I should set permissions on the backup drive to read only after Super Duper does it's thing. That way I won't accidently write to it. I don't use automatic backup, just manual. I just have to remember when using Super Duper to change permissions back to read/write.
Hmmm. I was just thinking. If I set the Backup drive to read only, will it still boot? Maybe that's not a good idea.

patrickm

dnanian
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
No, not a good idea. If you don't want to write to the backup drive by accident, eject it.