PDA

View Full Version : Keep some folders, but dump the files

dechamp
02-07-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm using an external FW800 drive as my boot drive for my MacBookPro when I'm in my office. Much faster and larger than my internal drive.

I want to have a current subset of the files on the external drive to be cloned onto my internal drive for when I have to do a field visit.

I understand about how to ignore folders so that I won't end up with copies of my movies, working projects or other unprocessed downloads, but I still want SD to copy an empty folder as a place holder to the clone.

I just did my first clone with Leopard and everything worked great. Bootable on the internal drive. But my downloads, movies, and other folders that I excluded are not on the clone, which creates problems when other programs reference a folder that's not on the clone.

I used Script Commands like ignore: Users/*/Movies/

Should I be putting a wild card * or .* after the trailing / to keep the folder but drop the files.

James
02-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes, to copy the folder but not the contents you would need to add a wild card to the path. If you don't want invisible files (.DS_Store, .Trash etc…) to be copied too then you would also add the dot wild card as well.

You want your paths to be like this:

Visible files: Users/*/Movies/*
Invisible files: Users/*/Movies/.*