PDA

View Full Version : Is Superduper renaming or moving something upon backup

doofmaczemy
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Hello,
I use iTunes and only after about 1 year was I able to pinpoint what is evidently the cause of my grief... When iTunes cannot recognize where it's music files are (indicated by exclamation points appearing next to songs followed by your mac asking you if you want to locate the files) it means the music folder of songs or the files themselves in the HD have been moved out of their original location..

Now, I never, EVER move those files and no one else uses my computer.

The problem seems to happen every time I make a backup to my 2nd hard drive with superduper, by doing 'HD 1' to 'HD 2' -->'backup all files'.

This happens ONLY following a backup!
Any idea what is going on?
Or how to just prevent this from happening again?:(

dnanian
02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
We definitely don't modify the source drive at all (other than writing our log, of course)...

doofmaczemy
02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Thank you
Even if the source drive isn't modified by superduper, consider this...

1) iTunes is directed to read the iTunes music folder location (in general preferences) from HD drive #2
2) Superduper backs up and rewrites this on HD drive #2 (based on the method i described, am I right?)
3) iTunes, following the backup, gets confused because it somehow does not like a rewrite
(nevermind nothing actually getting modified)
4) If I had the preferences for iTunes music folder location directed to the HD drive #1, instead,
which is NEVER rewritten, then i maybe i might not have this problem?

dnanian
02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Honestly, no idea. I think most of us have iTunes libraries, and I've not seen this kind of thing -- it'd certainly be widely reported!

You sure you're not switching drives (booting from the copy) every time?

doofmaczemy
02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
i would not know how to switch a drive because my general preferences are just set to read iTunes audio from hard drive #2.

do you mean, "are you using the same drive each time you use iTunes?
I only use the second drive for an HD backup or to store currently being used audio or video stuff.

My method is to have audio and video (largest files) stored on the second larger 750GB drive and then run everything besides audio and video from my desktop (on the first 250GB drive)

:o

dnanian
02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Wait -- you're reading the audio from the drive you're backing up to? You wouldn't want to do that, of course, right? It should be read from the drive you're booted from, not the target of the backup.

doofmaczemy
02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
yeah, i know, i just thought itunes would only care if the files were actually there or not, theyre still in the same place, just more of them when you back them up to the same folder.....:rolleyes: or something.