PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed. Cannot Boot from WD MyBook new drive under Tiger

gelco
01-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Bought a brand new Western Digital My Book 320GB drive with triple interface USB2, FW400, eSATA. Partition drive to (1) 250GB and (2) 50GB reminder under Apple Partition Map. Format drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled.

My Imac is a G5 PowerPC 2GHz with 120GB running latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 (not Leopard). I connected the drive using the FW400 connection.

I installed SuperDuper and ran the full bootable back up which ran fine. Completed in a over an hour. All Ok up to this point.

Then I restarted and held down the Option key. Then the boot screen came up but only show the Macintosh HD icon. I press the "refresh" button but the MyBook would not show up for me to boot into.

The WD My Book is the latest retail version with the "vertical line" indicator light, not the "Circle" one.

Can someone tell me what is wrong? I really like the drive, quiet, etc.
Thanks,
Gam

dnanian
01-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Their knowledge base indicates that their drives are not boot compatible with Power PC Macs, Gam.

gelco
01-18-2008, 09:06 AM
dnanian, many thanks for quick reply. Very sad indeed as i like the drive very much. Looks like I have to complete erase the drive and return to the retailer.
Can you recommend a software for secure delete of all my backup files? Does Secure Empty Trash do the job?
Thanks,

dnanian
01-18-2008, 09:11 AM
You can use Disk Utility to "secure erase" the drive.

homesick
01-22-2008, 03:37 AM
Their knowledge base indicates that their drives are not boot compatible with Power PC Macs, Gam.

Good to read this Dave, I really thought (naive as I obviously am) that just about _any_ FW drive out there would be OK for a bootable copy to my Powerbook G4 or a G5 iMac. I was lucky to buy an iOmega Tripple Interface some year ago and a little Lacie Portable FW 160GB - I _can_ boot from these, thank God.

This was good reading prior to a planned purchase of a new external drive...

Knowledge bases next....