PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs assurance

Kari
01-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi there--I am a new Mac owner, and have spent the last 3 months since I got by new iMac trying to figure out different stuff. I have gotten books from the library, but it seems some things are a bit more complicated than I had hoped they would be.

When I started researching how to backup, SuperDuper! had the most recommendations. So, I downloaded the guide, and am in the process of clearing the external drive that I used to use to back up my PC. A couple questions before I get started. I see a lot of references to a Firewire drive, but my drive is a USB drive. (Maxtor 3200). Is that a problem, or does it just make for a longer backup? I am currently zeroing the drive as recommended.

Secondly, just so I make sure I am on the right track, I am mostly hoping to backup my photos (in iPhoto '08 7.1.1, which I am having issues understanding fully), music, personal documents in case of a breakdown, and if I want to upgrade to Leopard. (Currently I am using Tiger 10.4.11)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

dnanian
01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
If you have an Intel Mac, then a USB drive is OK. Just make sure it's properly partitioned using the "GUID" partition scheme.

Back up everything, not just your photos. It doesn't take much more space, and it's a lot easier to recover with a full backup.

Kari
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Yes, I have an 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Glad to hear I don't need to buy additional hardware.

I am following the 60 page guide, and am on page 6, is the explanation within that guide? If not, can you point me where I learn to "properly partition using the "GUID" partition scheme"? (I haven't even download SuperDuper! yet, but plan to pay to get the full version.)

I definitely plan to back up everything. I referred specifically to the pictures because I don't fully understand how to even get to my pictures in iPhoto...been trying to figure out this whole database/packet thing I keep reading about. So, as long as I know it is being backedup then I can rest easily that the kids childhood photos aren't lost forever. I will figure out the iPhoto issue later.

Thank you so much--

Kari

dnanian
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
To partition:

Start Disk Utility
Select the external drive hardware in the sidebar
Click the Partition tab
Click Options
Choose the proper partition scheme (GUID for your Intel mac) and accept the page
Use the UI to divide the drive as desired. Use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type and name appropriately
Click Partition.

Kari
01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
First, I really appreciate your help.

Second, is there any reason why I would divide the drive, and if I don't do so at this juncture does that mean I won't be able to in the future?

Thanks...the zeroing just finished and I am about to do the partition, thanks to your instructions.

Kari

dnanian
01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
You'd divide the drive if you want to store other things on the drive alongside the backup.

Kari
01-11-2008, 09:25 AM
thank again. I now have a full backup on the backup drive. I followed the directions to schedule for a smart update. After filling out the schedule box, it just sits on my screen, as does the main super duper box. Do I close the schedule box and click copy now on the main box, or do these boxes need to stay open all the time in the background?

Thank you again.

dnanian
01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
You can just quit SD! (and make sure to unlock when prompted).