PDA

View Full Version : Disc de-fragmentation

iamweiss
01-07-2008, 04:49 PM
What is the difference between de-fragmenting a disc via Safety Clone and using Disc Warrior (though a Leopard version is not yet available)?

And how do I use Safety Clone? I can't seem to find it in the Super Duper menus.

Cheers,

Martin

dnanian
01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
You can't defragment with a Safety Clone (which is now called "Sandbox"). Disk Warrior doesn't do a disk defrag, as I recall -- it does a "directory optimization", no?

The Sandbox is discussed in the User's Guide (Help > User's Guide).

t3rockhall
01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
But you DID tell me previously that an erase and replace defrags the target disk, and I find THAT method faster than TTPro, just to mention a different option. If I know I'm going to be away from the computer for an hour or so, I do a Smart Update to my backup drive, reboot from the backup, and then do an erase and replace to my internal.

Just another option to remember.

dnanian
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
That's right, it does. But that's not what he was trying to do...

iamweiss
01-08-2008, 08:54 AM
You can't defragment with a Safety Clone (which is now called "Sandbox"). Disk Warrior doesn't do a disk defrag, as I recall -- it does a "directory optimization", no?

The Sandbox is discussed in the User's Guide (Help > User's Guide).
Maybe I am misunderstanding but in your White Paper (Fragmentation) you imply that Super Duper can be used to defragment which I am assuming is the same as reorganization.

Martin

dnanian
01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, but not with a Sandbox.

mikebore
01-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Maybe I am misunderstanding but in your White Paper (Fragmentation) you imply that Super Duper can be used to defragment which I am assuming is the same as reorganization.

Martin

"Reorganisation" is not a recognised term in this topic. A clone will eliminate fragmentation, but not directory errors. Diskwarrior will eliminate directory errors but not fragmentation.

dnanian
01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, indeed: we reorganize files to be contiguous, but we don't rearrange the directory structure, which falls where it falls.