PDA

View Full Version : SD and Sandbox

todivefor
01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I am new to SD and MAC OSX (both about 2 mos.). As my first test, I used a Sandbox to go from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11. It all worked as advertised and worked great. After a week or so, I followed all the directions (page 38) and "copied back" to Macintosh HD. This was done right after 10.4.11 was available. I have just noticed that my Sandbox continues to update with changes to Macintosh HD. How do I stop this or should I? It is sitting idle until I need it again.

BTW, I love SD!

TIA, Peter

dnanian
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Why do you think it's updating with changes? What files are you looking at?

todivefor
01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
For instance, changes I have made to my desktop and favorites are reflected in the Sandbox desktop and favorites.

dnanian
01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
That's because your user files, which include the Desktop and Favorites, are shared.

todivefor
01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Can I safely unshare them? The sandbox is now inactive as I have "copied back" it over my Macintosh HD. If yes, how?

dnanian
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't see why you'd need to. The files are the files on your source...

todivefor
01-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I appreciate your time and I do not want to be a PIA, but I would like to understand this. I am no longer using my SB as I restored everything back to Macintosh HD. I understand that Sandbox is sharing my user and appl. data (although I do not know how).

Now a couple questions:

I can smart backup from Macintosh HD to Sandbox to maintain a clone of Macintosh HD. Correct?

If I use my Sandbox for another purpose until I need it again, ie can I erase it and use it for another purpose? Or will this hose it up since it is sharing files with Macintosh HD?

I hope my concern is clear. I really do not want to waste your time because of my lack of OSX knowledge which has nothing to do with SD.

dnanian
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
No, a Sandbox isn't a backup -- it's a Sandbox. If you want to make a backup, you need to use "Backup - all files". You can use your existing Sandbox volume as the destination, if you'd like.

Erasing the Sandbox will have no effect on your regular volume.

todivefor
01-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Thank you.