PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper! with Leopard and Tiger

remittens
12-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Hello

My understanding is that it's usually better to (smart)backup a computer while it's not running; I'm used to booting on a partition of an external hd, running SD from there to clone my iMac on the second partition. It works fine under Tiger.

I know there are issues between SD and Leopard, but is it ok to backup my new macbook (which runs Leopard) the same way, i.e from a partition of an external HD running Tiger? Will the second partition will be a proper clone, will it be bootable? I'm not using Time Machine, btw.

(regardless the SD/Leopart issue, am I too paranoid using this method, or is it the proper way?)

Cheers,

--Remi

dnanian
12-25-2007, 11:38 PM
No, I wouldn't do this right now: at least, not until our Leopard compatible release is out.

SilverMarc
12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
No, I wouldn't do this right now: at least, not until our Leopard compatible release is out.
So is it true that at this time, if I'm on OS 10.5.1 (Leopard), that I shouldn't be doing backups with SuperDuper until a revision is released?

Or is it safe to run backups?

--Marc
December 28, 2007 @ 4:25 PM

dnanian
12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
It's "safe" to run them, but they're not bootable, Smart Update isn't smart, and they're not fully restorable. Though the individual files are there.

SilverMarc
12-28-2007, 04:36 PM
It's "safe" to run them, but they're not bootable, Smart Update isn't smart, and they're not fully restorable. Though the individual files are there.
So am I parsing your comment correctly - "Smart Update isn't smart" means you suggest I only use the "Erase then Backup" instead. And it will copy all as it should?

I can live without the reboot knowing that the files are backed up. Does anyone have an idea of a timeframe for release of a fully working version for 10.5.1?

Thanks Dave!

--Marc
December 28, 2007 @ 4:35 PM

dnanian
12-28-2007, 04:38 PM
No, that's not what I mean: the copy method doesn't really matter, the backup won't be bootable. "Smart Update isn't smart" means it'll likely copy everything each time.