PDA

View Full Version : SD & Leopard File Ownership

petenowell
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm having some problems migrating my user account from a SD created sparseimage to a new leopard installations.

What happened was:

Installed Leopard using archive and install and all was cool everything worked fine.

I guess by the date on the sparseimage backup that SD continued to use it's scheduled backups to update my Tiger backup.

I decided (for reasons too complicated to explain) the I wanted to do a clean install of Leopard

Now when I try to transfer my user account to the new Leopard installation using migration assitant many (if not all) the files in the user account seem to be owned by root not my account.

This really screws up the system.

Any one got any ideas how to fix this.

A couple of things I've thought of:

Use a Unix command to do a mass change of ownership of all files in my user account. Anyone know what the Unix command would be?

The only other thing I can think of is to chmod all the files to 777. Don't like the sound of that!

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dnanian
11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Sounds like a bug in the Migration Assistant, Pete -- or, unfortunately, you migrated from a SD! Leopard backup (we're not yet compatible). You could try using Get Info to change ownership on the files...

nbarman
11-15-2007, 06:36 PM
I am having the same problem, and basically my computer is rendered useless until this is fixed. I cannot open addressbook, mail, itunes - about the only thing I can do is use Safari... any immediate solutions would be hugely appreciated!

rdlsmith
11-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I am having the same problem, and basically my computer is rendered useless until this is fixed. I cannot open addressbook, mail, itunes - about the only thing I can do is use Safari... any immediate solutions would be hugely appreciated!

I don't know if it will help but 10.5.1 is now available.

roustem
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I wanted to mention that I saw similar problems when I was supporting 1Password users who upgraded to Leopard. It seems that it may happen if you Upgrade (not Archive and Install). One of our users went to Apple store and was recommended to perform clean install to fix this issue.

There is also discussion on Apple forums, but I do not think they found any other solution:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5797561&tstart=0#5797561

drfence
11-18-2007, 11:02 AM
I just did a restore myself and have permissions problems. But again SD isn't Leopard compatible so I'll be re-installing :(

Is there an easy way to get my user setup back? Can I just copy my /user/ directory to the new install?