PDA

View Full Version : Using Time Machine and SD on the same external drive

brianwestchest
10-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But, I'm new to SuperDuper. I've been running it for a couple of weeks.

My understand is SD pretty much occupies my whole hard drive. That is I can't have other applications storing data on it. Is that right? If so, when I go to Leopard, will I be able to use it to backup on the same drive or will I have to partition the drive?(something I've never done).

Thanks,
Brian

dnanian
10-22-2007, 09:26 AM
You'll want to partition the drive, Brian. It's pretty easy to do with Disk Utility...

brianwestchest
10-22-2007, 09:33 AM
You'll want to partition the drive, Brian. It's pretty easy to do with Disk Utility...

Could you provide step-by-step instructions for us non-technical types? Since I already have SuperDuper running backups to the drive, I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

I'm guessing I'll have to completely wipe out what's already on the drive (my SuperDuper Backup). Then, when I get TimeFinder, I'll direct that to one partition and SuperDuper to the other. But, I've never partitioned a drive before and I'm not exactly sure I even know what it means. I guess it means my OS will see the drive as two physical drives?

Thanks,
Brian

dnanian
10-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Basically:

- Open Disk Utility
- Select the physical drive hardware
- Click the partition tab
- Click Options
- Choose the proper partition type for your drive (GUID or APM) and accept the panel
- Divide, size and name the drive appropriately, using "Mac OS Extended" as the format
- Partition

This will, indeed, wipe the drive. The OS will show you as many volumes/partitions as you have created on the drive.