PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight indexing target while copying.

James
10-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I am booted from my backup on a USB 2 HDD and I am trying to copy that volume back to the internal. Every time SuperDuper starts to copy, the internal gets indexed and this slows the copy to such an extent that it would take forever. What can I do to stop it being indexed at the same time as the copy?, its never done this before.

dnanian
10-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Erase the internal with Disk Utility, restart and then add it to the Spotlight Preference Pane's "Privacy" tab. Let's see if that helps.

James
10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I have erased, zero'd and formated the drive, I have yet to try a copy with it added to privacy because I want it to be searchable, it will be my main drive, but I'm gonna add it anyway as I need to get it to copy one way or another. I just don't get why its never done this before.

dnanian
10-05-2007, 08:19 PM
You can always take it out of privacy! :)

James
10-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Copy complete (+ a good nights sleep :D ). I added to privacy (though I needed to be root to do it) and I have have now removed it from privacy. I just don't get it though, I though SuperDuper turns off indexing before it copies and turns it back on after. Spotlight is a real pain in the arse.

dnanian
10-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Tell me about it. ;)