PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate entrys in 'Services'

Loopy C
09-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Everytime I update (Sync) my 'clone', I get duplicate entries in my 'Services Menu' ('Open With'). I have asked around and some others do not seem to experience this...any ideas?

PB 17" 1.67Ghz / 2Gb RAM / OSX 10.4.8 /Super Duper! 2.1.4

Clone is on a Firewire external drive.

dnanian
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Launch Services automatically scans attached volumes to find applications that can be run. When it sees the apps on the external drive, it adds them to Open With.

You can try to reset its database with Onyx or Cocktail (see VersionTracker). At that point, it shouldn't re-add them until you re-copy your apps or open the folder on the backup.

Loopy C
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Out of curiousity, for those who do not have this happen is it because they keep the drive mounted (as in daily automated cloning)?

As far as I can tell that is the main difference, as I do my clones manually to a drive which is only mounted for that purpose as needed, whereas they have the drive online all the time for scheduled BU?

dnanian
10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
No, because I test both ways...

James
10-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I get this every so often without external drives attached and it's because of a problem with Launch Services. You can rebuild the Launch Services database with the command below.

Copy and past into Terminal.
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -domain local -domain system -domain user

Loopy C
10-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks again for the replies dnanian and James :)

No problem with the 'rebuild' as I have Cocktail, as I said just curious why some report not having this happen.

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39748&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0