PDA

View Full Version : Bootable image on NAS?

JAcord
09-18-2007, 02:38 PM
As a recent OS X convert (MBPro) I'm looking for backup solutions and have heard many good things about SuperDuper!. I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live on my network with enough room to back up my multiple machines at home. My question: is it possible using SuperDuper! to make a backup as a bootable disk image on the NAS, following the guidelines in the FAQ (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81), and if necessary (hopefully never!) moving that image to a Firewire drive in case of failure of the backed-up MBP drive? How would I move it to a "blank" Firewire drive in order to boot from it?

My goal is to make a bootable backup that I can fall back on in a pinch, w/o having to get yet another external drive unless and until I need it and w/o having to do anything to the existing filesystem on my NAS.

Cheers

dnanian
09-18-2007, 04:01 PM
You'd likely want to partition the FireWire drive, install a basic install of OSX on it, then use that to restore the image from the network drive to the other partition.

coocoo
09-19-2007, 12:05 PM
hi there, i just posted a similar question and then saw this...we are in the process of transitioning from pcs to macs and the first arrival was a mbp last week. i am used to acronis workstation/server scenario and wondering how to recover without external drives, but from a windows server. i thought that i read in the documentation that you would launch the OSX CD shipped with the mbp and then somehow what? connect to the server and ??? load the image and then copy the files ???? i would really like to test a workflow out before rolling this thing out the rest of our SOHO. thx...