PDA

View Full Version : 2 partitions -vs- 2 drives question

djlynch
09-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Okay, I have my 500GB OWC drive that I am going to set to have 2 partitions. 1 for a bootable backup of my internal imac 250gb drive and the other partition to have backup of my photos,music,movies.

Being new to SD, can I have SD just backup photos,music,movies to the appropriate partition?

Is it "better" to have a completely DIFFERENT external drive for backup of movies,photos,music than to partition a single drive?

------------
added: Okay, I think I am going the rotate 2 drive method. I thought I read somewhere that the drives should be named the same as the source internal drive?

Thanks!

dnanian
09-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Are your photos/music/movies on your regular internal drive?

djlynch
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Are your photos/music/movies on your regular internal drive?

Yes. Currently all on internal drive. Just want to backup, not archive yet. Still have 150gb to fill on internal.

My thought is to keep all on internal then as later becomes full just replace the internal with a larger internal in the future and keep backing up to 2 rotating external 500GB OWC firewire drives

dnanian
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
OK, so -- no need to back up your photos separately, you know? Your bootable "Backup - all files" has your photos/movies/music along with everything else.

djlynch
09-18-2007, 11:52 AM
OK, so -- no need to back up your photos separately, you know? Your bootable "Backup - all files" has your photos/movies/music along with everything else.

Thanks for the quick reply! Am I thinking clearly on this later swapping out internal drive on an imac to larger as becomes full..?.drive prices get larger and prices lower so my thought is to just increase internals as needed.

dnanian
09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Sure. That'll work fine -- and your backup is certainly plenty large at 500GB!