PDA

View Full Version : iDisk Backup with SuperDuper?

gryphonent
09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Dave,

I’ve recently joined .Mac and would like to do a backup of my documents folder to the documents folder on iDisk. Now, I’ve followed an older thread about how to backup a single folder to a drive... the problem with iDisk is that I cannot select a dedicated folder from SD’s pulldown menu. Only the entire drive! I don’t want to erase the entire iDisk... just smart update my documents folder on the internal harddrive to the documents folder on iDisk. How can I do this?

dnanian
09-16-2007, 09:41 AM
You can't do it with SuperDuper! unless you store the backup in an image; sorry.

gryphonent
09-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I see. Well, would a disk image uploaded to the documents folder of iDisk be a smart update then? Or is all data transferred each time and the old disk image overwritten? I don’t like Apple’s Backup and believe it would also either zip the folder or create a disk image. From what I gather Backup does not do any smart updating at all, which is why I’d rather avoid it.

Previously I’ve uploaded my documents folder through Transmit to my server. However, having iDisk would make things much easier and the problem with Transmit is that - at least for now - I cannot schedule backups (after all it’s an FTP program and not a backup program).

dnanian
09-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Yes, backing up your Documents to a sparse image, for example, would Smart Update. But, it's possible it won't be terribly fast...

gryphonent
09-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks Dave. I’ll think about it.