PDA

View Full Version : Running a script prior to backup.

Cold Canuck
09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Sorry if this has been answered before, I did look but can't seem to find a search function.

I would like to run a script before SD tries to mount the destination sparse image. In my case the script would mount a nfs disk on the mac which has the sparse image(s) on it. I wish to do this because the automounting of network disks under 10.3.9 is sporatic at best (not a SD issue).

The present functionality seems to run the script after the mounting of the sparse image before the copy. I want to back it up one step and run the script before the mount is attempted.

Is this possible now or is it a future enhancment you would be interested in making (how many licenses would I have to buy :)

dnanian
09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
If you modify the AppleScript driver that's involved in Scheduling (it's in the scheduled copy package -- search the forum for info -- search is right near the top of the forum page), you can do something before the mount is attempted.

Cold Canuck
09-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks, I actually had found the search but not the magic search strings :) I have now found what I need (i think) and will try this out. The manual and the thread with MarcoPolo seems to have all the hints I need to get me started.

Is it just my machine or is the automated network mounting in 10.3.9 completely erratic ? I seem to have to force quit the Finder every other mount and no amount of ACL in the keychain seems to allow consistent unattended mounting from scripts. On the other hand using mount_nfs from a shell script is rock steady and reliable.

I'll let people know how this turns out.

dnanian
09-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I haven't done a lot of NFS work under 10.3.9, so I don't know if it's flaky or not, sorry...