PDA

View Full Version : Strange spotlight behaviour

xizzy
09-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Cloning my booting partition brings some unwelcomed consequences:

- i am unable to exclude destination partition from spotlight indexing so
- i see two copies of each software in "open with" menu list
- and i am unable to eject the destination partition after the cloning process.

Secondary partition is cloned without incidents.

I use macosx 10.4.10 and a registered copy of super duper 2.1.4 (V.82).

Thanks.

dnanian
09-06-2007, 04:49 PM
You can't add the volume into the "Privacy" tab?

The two copies of software in Open With isn't spotlight related -- it's because Launch Services sees two applications. You can use Onyx or Cocktail to rebuild Launch Services to cut that back to one.

xizzy
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
You can't add the volume into the "Privacy" tab?

I can't. I tried with some shell tricks with no success also.

The two copies of software in Open With isn't spotlight related -- it's because Launch Services sees two applications. You can use Onyx or Cocktail to rebuild Launch Services to cut that back to one.

I have to do it every time i backup the partition? It's normal?

And there is a way i can check what's keeping the partition from ejecting?

Thank you!

dnanian
09-06-2007, 05:15 PM
If you're comfortable with the shell, let's try this, then. Shut your Mac down and hold down Shift. Power on, and keep Shift down until you get to the desktop. That'll prevent Spotlight from running at all.

Then, in the shell, delete the ".Spotlight_V100" folder at the top of the backup drive.

Restart your Mac, and add the drive into privacy (make sure you're running as an admin).

As far as the double-apps go, LaunchServices will seek-and-find applications on drives that are mounted. Often, as long as the files have been copied and haven't been updated, and use use Smart Update, it won't find them again (unless you view the folder in Finder). So -- if you do it once, you might not have to again for a while.

To help protect against this behavior, you can eject your destination. Note that SD! will automatically mount/copy/eject when a scheduled backup is done.

Finally, to see what might be keeping a drive from ejecting, use "lsof" in the shell, and search for the volume name with grep.

xizzy
09-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I had some uncheckable (fsck didn't find nothing wrong) error on the disk so i was unable to eject it.
After a very hard treatment with pdisk i was able to format the disk again, partition it and do a new backup.

I am able to eject now :)

Putting the destination partition on spotlight exclude list BEFORE the backup has resolved the other issue.

I understand that there isn't a way to resolve the program duplication problem.
How i can force super duper to eject the disk after the backup?

Thanks!

dnanian
09-07-2007, 06:50 PM
If the drive is unmounted when a schedule starts, we'll mount/copy and unmount when done.