PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my computer while the backup is running?

rwhitney
08-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Subject pretty much says it all. ;)

dnanian
08-17-2007, 09:52 PM
As explained in the User's Guide, you can use it lightly. Don't run programs with big data files (Parallels, VMWare, Virtual PC, Entourage), don't download files.

homesick
08-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Subject pretty much says it all. ;)

Hi folks, long time.... but SD works perfectly for me so I have to put priorities to other things instead :D

I've been thinking of asking the same question, only I'm not intending to _use_ the computer while executing the Smart Update. I would just like to keep several apps opened (and several files within each like Dreamweaver, Safari, GYaz Mail...) the way they were and rund the SD.

Of course, a better planing is sometimes a good solution but if I'm in a hurry and was maybe traveling, I get home, I'm up high in the middle of working with my Mac but my mind says "backuuuuup, backuuuup...", what I usualy do is that I write down where I was and then I close everything, run the Smart Update to a FW exernal drive and yeah, that's it.

My question is therefore - does the SD clone even the files that are opened?

It's ringing in my head now that maybe it does clone the latest saved version on the disc, or? If I save all opened files is that also "traveling" over to the external drive?

Thanks!

dnanian
08-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Open files are no problem, we happily copy them. The issue is with a file that's being written as we copy it...

homesick
08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks very much, this is a great relief and I feel very confident with this backup software.