PDA

View Full Version : Booting-up starts well then "freezes"

benpoole
08-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi there

I've just created a backup copy of my OS X Tiger install DVD to an external (Firewire) drive (LaCie). I did this with the intention of trying to boot the OS X installer on my old iMac G4, which has a newly formatted internal drive, but won't recognise my OS X install disk.

(All this since Apple's latest PPC update; thanks guys).

SuperDuper created the back up for me, no problem. I hooked up the Firewire drive to the old Mac, started up with the option key depressed, and was thrilled to see the LaCie drive listed as (the only) bootable volume.

I selected the drive and the iMac appeared to start booting: I got the grey Apple and pinwheel, then the screen turned blue.

... And is still blue. No more hard drive activity, no login, progress or installer boxes, nothing doing on the iMac.

Does anyone have insight? Am I actually doing something that's possible??

Many thanks!

benpoole
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
OK so I diverged from SuperDuper a little, but I'm so thrilled that this may be working, I don't care ;)

Booting from Firewire wasn't happening. So I stuck my install CD in my new Macbook, hooked it up to the old iMac, restarted the Macbook in FireWire target mode & started up the iMac. I am now running the OS X installer on the iMac, using the Macbook as a glorified optical drive.

Woo hoo!

(Update: this worked)