PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox performance

badlydrawnboy
08-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Dave,

Don't know if you can answer this question but thought I'd give it a shot anyways. I've got a G5 tower with a 74 GB Raptor in sandbox configuration and a 400 GB "original drive". I used the "shared users" script to set-up the sandbox - not for safety/isolation concerns, but because I thought I read somewhere that editing digital images in Photoshop (something I do frequently) is faster when the image files are stored on a different drive than the one PS is running on.

However, I also know that the more free space that is available on a boot drive, the faster it will be. So if I rebuilt my sandbox with "shared users & applications", there would be much more space on the drive. (Right now it's about 40% full, with all of my apps on it).

I'm just wondering if you can provide any insight here on how the sandbox configuration affects performance.

Thanks.

dnanian
08-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, they're likely referring to the difference between the data drive and the "swap" drive (for virtual memory). The Sandbox would keep those two things separate, and might help performance. Worth trying...

badlydrawnboy
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify my (lack of) understanding of how the sandbox works... is it set-up so that the Library, System and Applications (if I choose "Shared Users and Applications") are all active/running on the Sandbox drive, while the user directory is on the original drive?

Of course there is still the complete OS X install on the original drive, but OS X is not running on that drive when booted from the sandbox - correct? It is essentially acting as a storage drive for the home directory.

Thanks,
Chris

dnanian
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
That's right: it stores the Home folder and preserves the other information, so your OS is left as-is.