PDA

View Full Version : Restoring- Strange results

Jonathan Strait
08-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi!

I managed to successfully restore a rental macbookpro with my disc image while mine is repaired. I think....

I started up (option key) on the backup drive and then erased and copied my backup to the laptops "Macintosh HD". I used the repair permissions on backup option too..

When I restarted on the newly copied drive many of my dock icons were not recognized ("?" icons) once I clicked to launch many of those they restored fine (seemingly) Many others however were replaced with pictures (jpegs, tiffs) and other strange files from random places on my HD. Weird!

I went to try and copy the backup to the HD again and it didn't recognize it as a place to copy to. (Is that cause I'm running from there?)

Also several of the programs I started asked for serial numbers again. Is this going to happen everytime I restore??

Any other ideas of things I might want to check to be sure it's all good?

Thanks, J

dnanian
08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Try rebuilding your Launch Services database with Onyx or Cocktail. The programs asking for their SNs are likely noticing that the computer is different...

leslie
08-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Same thing here... I have tried to restore multiple times and always with the same results. Since it has never happened under OS X 10.4.9 I have came to conclusion that it is due to some kind of incompatibility issues between SD and OS X 10.4.10. Just to be sure I have just restored my old 10.4.9 image without any problems. Proceeded with restoration of 10.4.10 and all those problems returned..?! I find it very surprising that no one else on this board noticed this odd SD behavior before, unless everyone here is still using OS X 10.4.9...

dnanian
08-05-2007, 05:22 PM
There are strange things with LaunchServices in 10.4.10. It's not really SD! specific -- they've definitely added some, um, "features".

leslie
08-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Wow, that was a quick reply :) I do have Cocktail, but I don't seem to find rebuild LaunchServices... Is there another way to do it?

dnanian
08-05-2007, 05:37 PM
You can run the following in Terminal:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\
Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \
-kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

leslie
08-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks again dnanian, saved the command for future use :)
P.S. Quick edit - silly me I have just found it in Cocktail 3.7.5 »» System »» Misc. »» Rebuild LaunchServices Database

Ramin
08-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I am having the same exact problem using the latest version of SuperDuper! and 10.4.10.

Using other clone/backup tools, there is no issue. Please note that I have about 31 icons on my Dock.... IF that would make any difference.

Also:

Why do you need people's birthday?!!!!

Why do we have to go through reading those silly characters when doing a simple search here?!!!! It's really a waste of time when someone needs a quick solution to an urgent issue!

Ramin
08-24-2007, 09:59 AM
A quick update: Just to re-confirm, I used NetRestore 3.3.6 which came out long before 10.4.10, to restore the same image created by SuperDuper and no problem with the icons on DOCK. Every single one of them looked and worked as supposed to.

Therefore, I am certain there is an issue with this version of your software.

P.S. Some of us need to learn to give a chance to free software applications as well!

dnanian
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure what you're complaining about with "silly characters", Ramin. The birthday is simply so we can send you best wishes.

If you rebuild your LaunchServices database, your icons should work properly...

day
08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi there,
I'm having similar problems here with a 10.4.10 clone. first thing I noticed was the "More Info..." button in the "About This Mac" window led to an obscure resource file within the address book application, instead of system profiler. after some googling, I rebuilt Launch Services database w/ Onyx, and that was fixed. but then, a day or so later, a couple of dock shortcuts also led to seemingly random files, often within application packages. I ran AppleJack, and then rebuilt my database with Diskwarrior. When I rebooted, instead of application shortcuts in my dock for Illustrator and InDesign, there were zero-K files in my trash, named "PathForApplication.ai" and "PathForApplication.indd", with the correct icons.

Anyhow, now, several days later, it just happened again -- a shortcut in my dock led to some ".nib" file - I think within Address Book.

Any thoughts? is my newly rebuilt sytem hosed? Things seem to be working otherwise, but these issues give me pause.

I should add, love SuperDuper! (never had a problem before this, and it's helped me out immensely!)

thanks,
David

dnanian
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm confused -- you can't rebuild your LaunchServices database with DiskWarrior, David. Did you rebuild LaunchServices a second time?

day
08-29-2007, 12:29 PM
sorry to be vague -- yes, I rebuilt LanchServices database w/ Onyx.
I later rebuilt my directory DB with DiskWarrior.
I should add this is on a brand new, fresh system (+apps) install...

dnanian
08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
OK. I'd try rebuilding LaunchServices again; LS has been rather weird under 10.4.10...

day
08-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi Dave,
thanks - will give it a shot. will keep you posted...
thanks,
David

leslie
08-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, rebuilding services actually creates more "blank" icons in dock, but restores issues with OS X not recognizing what to do with files like .dmg, .zip, et; etc;...?! I have to agree here that the issue is definitely with SuperDuper not OS X 10.4.10...
Time for SD 2.15 perhaps..?

dnanian
08-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Did you name the destination drive the same as the original?

dnanian
08-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Another thing to try (other than naming the drives the same): follow the steps in the User's Guide to exclude

/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.*

That might help you in this situation (but will cause programs to indicate they're being launched for the first time on the copy).

d-v-c
08-31-2007, 04:55 AM
So if I upgrade to 10.4.10 there's a possibility that SD may no longer work. I'm not blaming SD, but it sounds like there is a issue. Running another program in hopes it will fix things is crazy -- it is the 21st Century -- things as critical as a backup need to be 100%..

Now, after spending $50, I'm wondering what advantage SD has over Apple's Disk Utility. From what I can tell it is fully capable of backing-up and then restoring a perfect copy of my harddisk. That's all I want to do.

I'll have 2 paritions and alternate backing-up to them. What more do I need -- really? And, Disk utility does a post-copy verify which SD doesn't do.

leslie
08-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Another thing to try (other than naming the drives the same): follow the steps in the User's Guide to exclude

/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.*

That might help you in this situation (but will cause programs to indicate they're being launched for the first time on the copy).

These are "fantastic" hints - it's a shame that they do not rectify the problem with SD and 10.4.10... (Have You actually tested SD 2.1.4 with 10.4.10..? it looks to me that You don't even have 10.4.10 installed on Your system...). Let's face it, 10.4.10 is not going to miraculously change or go away and Apple will not change anything in it to benefit SD, not to mention that Leopard is just 1 month away anyway and I can bet it will "break" SD even more...
As I hinted in my previous post - maybe it is time for SD 2.1.5 revision after all ;)

dnanian
08-31-2007, 09:32 AM
People -- we know, regardless of the presence of SuperDuper!, that there's a problem with LaunchServices in 10.4.10. It's affecting a number of applications, including SuperDuper!

We cannot replicate the problem that leslie is reporting here (blank icons, etc). If we can't replicate a problem, or if the problem is something we don't have control over, we can't fix it.

Releasing a 2.1.5 when we don't have a case -- only a symptom, in this one case -- and don't have a fix, doesn't really help anyone.

We're trying to duplicate the problem. I'm providing suggestions in this thread to try to determine what's causing the issue on this system... it does not seem to be a general problem with SD.

leslie
08-31-2007, 11:10 AM
People -- we know, regardless of the presence of SuperDuper!, that there's a problem with LaunchServices in 10.4.10. It's affecting a number of applications, including SuperDuper!

We cannot replicate the problem that leslie is reporting here (blank icons, etc). If we can't replicate a problem, or if the problem is something we don't have control over, we can't fix it.

Releasing a 2.1.5 when we don't have a case -- only a symptom, in this one case -- and don't have a fix, doesn't really help anyone.

We're trying to duplicate the problem. I'm providing suggestions in this thread to try to determine what's causing the issue on this system... it does not seem to be a general problem with SD.
You have got to be joking ofcourse... "We cannot replicate the problem that leslie is reporting here (blank icons, etc). If we can't replicate a problem, or if the problem is something we don't have control over, we can't fix it.
"leslie is reporting here" - I am not the only one.!
Evereone here experienced the same issues for Gods sake!!! Please listen to the majority and fix the f....G problem with SD 2.1.4 and OS X 10.4.10

James
08-31-2007, 11:23 AM
This issue is something I have had and on the four or so times when it was produced SuperDuper was not involved. I was running 10.4.10 and had upgraded OnyX to the latest version that was 10.4.10 compatible, one task I had OnyX perform was to "Reset LaunchServices Database". After the reboot (which OnyX needed straight away) I had generic icons in my Dock, like the Jpeg Icon and PDF Icon, hovering my cursor over these icons gave the applications name, however clicking these files opened up some random file or picture. At first I thought it was related to ClearDock but after removing that App/Hack I still had the problem. It's defenitly something in 10.4.10 and is not caused by SuperDuper.

I have since done an Archive and Install to go back to 10.4.9 as that was not the only issue I had (I won't rant here about Airport:D)

d-v-c
08-31-2007, 11:37 AM
If it can't be fixed -- by whomever -- the bottom line is that SD can't be used with 10.4.10 without hassles.

And, since some of Apple's new software (e.g., iWork) requires 10.4.10 one has no choice but to upgrade.

Which means something needs to be done to warn users to either to not upgrade to 10.4.10 or to not buy SD.

dnanian
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Leslie -- I cannot reproduce the problem. I've tried for a few days, and it won't happen here. As James indicated below, this is an OSX issue that's biting you, and it's a bug in 10.4.10.

I don't know how to reproduce the problem in 10.4.10 either -- I only know it happens to people regardless of SD!'s use/presence.

I understand that the two or three people in this thread are having issues. I'm listening to all of you. But I cannot reproduce the problem.

I get no joy from this fact, yet fact it remains.

dnanian
08-31-2007, 11:39 AM
SD! absolutely can be used with 10.4.10 without hassles. I'm doing it myself, as are the vast majority of users out there in the field...

Why you are having difficulty I don't know, and that's what I'm trying to help with in this thread.

d-v-c
09-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Sorry. You posted "People -- we know ... that there's a problem with LaunchServices in 10.4.10. It's affecting a number of applications, including SuperDuper!"

I guess what you mean its an OS X bug that affects SOME users.

This is very frustrating because one won't know until one upgrades and then you've got a big hassle because you have to roll back. If the bug shows up weeks later -- if you didn't save the old version you will not be able to roll back. And, when you do roll back you'll lose all your work.

Since this possibility IS KNOWN, I sure think it deserves a warning.

Ramin
09-01-2007, 05:27 AM
Hello everyone from a happy and switched back to Netrestore guy!

Just in case, first thing first ---> http://www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.html

Now, I've been using their application since I posted my previous post with no problem what-so-ever.

That means, I do not need to mess around with my system based on those mentioned by Admin / others here. With Bombich's product, everything works 100% and I am happy now. As well, the amount of time to backup my machine (Full backup, of course) is almost 1 hour less than SuperDuper. FYI, my HD is about 23GB full.

In any case, I am not here to ask anyone to switch. And certainly, their backup solution is not as user friendly as SD, for sure. But, it does its job and perfect for me here.

So, once more, SD folks, please fix your software before things become out of hand there. IF, you need a better QA than what is available to you, you are more than welcome to drop me a note. Just a suggestion, of course. It's your software, however, I will not buy any more products from you as I have lost my trust in your products and support. Yes, there are some big problems with the latest update for OS X (10.4.10) although you do not hear anyone complain loud enough on the 'net.... surely we know the reason! ;) However, this issue mentioned by SD is NOT one of them.

As for SD being interested in their members' birth date and etc. as part of forum registeration,, I do not wish strangers to know that just because they could wish me happy birthday. Thanks and that's a very cute and thoughtful idea, however, I believe this is some kind private matter!!!! More important, who would be happy to hear from different people on that day that... hey, you are 1 year older now!!!!!!!!!

Good luck everyone....

dnanian
09-01-2007, 07:40 AM
But I don't think you have to roll back, d-v-c; the problem is fixable by simply rebuilding launch services.

dnanian
09-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Sorry you feel that way, Ramin; best of luck with your chosen solution.

leslie
09-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey guys, just found the perfect solution to all these problems with SD and it was right in front of me all the time... The answer is OS X Disk Utility - nothing to install, nothing to buy and best of all it is very fast and produces bullet proof results.
The only inconvenience is that to obtain perfect bootable clone you have to start the computer from installation CD and run it from there, but it is the price I am more than happy to pay :D

brich
09-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Good luck with your solution. I've got 3 Macs running 10.4.10 with frequent smart update clones to external FW via SD. I have not experienced any bugs so far...ymmv. I had previously used CCC before discovering SD a few years back. Both are good cloning apps, but lots of us prefer the ease and reliability of SD.

This may not make a difference for you, but I'm quite anal about running DiskWarrior from external FW to optimize the internal drive's directory items. For me, the combination of DW and SD has been a recipe for seamless Mac performance.

leslie
09-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Good luck with your solution.
"Good luck"..?! You've got be joking... - This is THE only bullet proof solution (Disk Utility) to get a PERFECT CLONE on Mac OS X 10.4.10 at the moment :D
CCC Beta is crap, so SD is not alone here ;)
Well,.. I guess (as I mentioned before), Leopard will either fix all these issues or it will just make both CCC and SD redundant. My bet is for the latter...
As it is, I have removed SD from my HD and I'm more than happy to use Disk Utility to create PERFECT CLONES of my iMac :)

edoates
09-21-2007, 12:52 PM
SD! absolutely can be used with 10.4.10 without hassles. I'm doing it myself, as are the vast majority of users out there in the field...

Why you are having difficulty I don't know, and that's what I'm trying to help with in this thread.

Here is exactly what caused the problem for me (problem is disk images don't mount, HELP doesn't work, and SD can't schedule copies, and probably more):

Computers: both iMac G5 1.8 1GB memory, 250GB internal drive, backup drive OWC Mercury 250GB FW 400; OS: 10.4.10

Do a full backup on computer one from a drive called Ellies iMac G5

Restore on computer number two which has a running 10.4.10 on its system drive (named Jens Photo iMac G5): boot from the system drive, use preferences to change the startup drive to the FW backup, then restart.

Once restarted, start SD on the boot drive (the FW drive), and do a full backup to the internal system drive (erase and copy); I didn't rename the drive, and I didn't really check anything on the FW drive other than starting SD.

Once done, start up from the internal drive, and all sorts of problem will occur. I "renamed" the internal drive to that of the backed up (computer 1) drive, no change: HELP fail, disk images fail to mount, SD can't schedule (script error of some sort).

When I rebooted from the FW backup to check things out, it had the exact same problems even before the restore!

It would appear that there is something in 10.4.10 which gets tied to the specific hardware and/or serial numbers which was not the case in prior versions.

When I did the suggested rebuild of the launch database on the internal drive of computer 2, it seems to fix things. I still don't trust it completely, but the few things I tried appear to be OK: HELP works, images can be mounted, and SD can schedule a backup.

I hope this helps isolate the issue for SD. I prefer SD to trying to use DU because Smart backup is fast and I can schedule daily backups to unmounted (but spun up) drives, and integration with Growl can send me email on success or failure.

Eddie O

dnanian
09-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Right: rebuilding LaunchServices is the solution to this. Hopefully, it'll be fixed in 10.4.11...

mykmelez
10-18-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm using 10.4.10 with SuperDuper 2.1.4, and I'm experiencing this problem after restoring from backup. Unfortunately, rebuilding LaunchServices doesn't fix it for me. I tried the command-line version as well as using Onyx (both the rebuild and the reset options), but the items on my dock are still all wrong (missing or incorrect icons, clicking opens random files/applications). Anything else I can do?

dnanian
10-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Are all the dock icon entries wrong? Is your destination (the drive you're now running from) named the same as the original drive?

mykmelez
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Are all the dock icon entries wrong? Is your destination (the drive you're now running from) named the same as the original drive?

The finder one is right, and there's a WMV Player icon that works. I can't remember if it worked before I rebuilt LaunchServices. All the rest are wrong, though.

However, the link to Software Update in the About This Mac dialog started working again after I rebuilt LaunchServices, so it looks like the rebuild did something, it just didn't fix the dock.

dnanian
10-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Very weird. I can't get this to happen in-house, but there are a number of you it's happened to. I'm certain we've copied the relevant plist properly, but changes have been made in the OS to the way it dereferences aliases (which the Dock must be storing).

Is your drive named the same?

mykmelez
10-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Is your drive named the same?

Yes, my drive is named "Macintosh HD", and that's what it has always been called. In case it helps, here are the details:

My computer (32bit 2.16GHz MacBook Pro) started shutting off spontaneously a few weeks ago, so my company sent it to Apple for repair. Before they sent it off, I made a complete backup to an external Firewire drive, then I used Mac OS X's migration feature to migrate my account to a loaner laptop (32bit 2.00GHz MacBook Pro).

(Fortunately, the machine didn't shut down during either the backup or the migration.)

Apple's migration utility worked ok. Afterwards, a couple items on my dock were question marks, and I had to do a bit of configuration (don't remember what now) and reinstall a few applications (including XCode, if I remember correctly), but overall things worked out.

When I got my computer back from Apple, however, I decided to restore using SD!, so I backed up the loaner to the external drive, booted my repaired machine off the external drive, and used SD! to "back up" from the external drive to my repaired machine.

When I booted off the external drive (called "Backup"), the dock was already messed up. In fact, I think it was messed up in the same way that it's messed up now. But I didn't worry about it, assuming the problem was just that the name of the drive was different and that things would be ok after rebooting from my machine.

After I restored the backup and rebooted my machine, however, things were not ok. That's when I visited these forums, found the two threads on the problem, and tried the recommendations of rebuilding LaunchServices. I've since tried rebuilding using all three recommended tools (Onyx, Cocktail, and from the command-line), but my dock items are still all screwed up.

But like I said, it looks like they are screwed up in the same way they were screwed up when I booted off the backup drive, so it seems that the problem occurred during the backup, not during the restore.

dnanian
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Well, except Migration would have migrated those same settings.

At this point, I'd suggest just dragging off and replacing those icons. As I've said, I assure you that we copied the file on the disk faithfully. But the Dock -- or the alias manager -- is doing things a bit differently in 10.4.10 that's causing some of these aliases to not resolve properly, even though they're bit-for-bit the same as the original...

mykmelez
10-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I took your advice, emptied my dock of icons, and replaced them one by one. Afterwards, things worked fine again.

I now have to send my MacBook Pro back for repair again (they broke some things while fixing others), so I've backed up to my external drive and then restored from the external drive to a loaner laptop.

After rebooting from the external drive, all my dock icons were fine, and they stayed fine after restoring to the loaner and rebooting from the loaner's drive.

So whatever the problem was, it appears to be resolved. Perhaps rebuilding LaunchServices fixed the problem, except for icons that were already on the dock.

dnanian
10-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Glad to hear it! :D