PDA

View Full Version : my first backup

doofmaczemy
08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
2.66 mac pro OSX 10.4.9 1GB ram

Hello,
I am about to perform my first backup with Superduper:

01) Unfortunately, my second internal drive is not here yet, but I might need to save an image or backup to my desktop/ DVD, because my computer appears to be on a downward spiral.. again.

02) I'm not sure what "copy hardrive to 07" means, even though it explains, because i don't know what disc image '07' is and i also don't trust the sound of it saying it will erase something in the process.

To ME it means that "07" is a disc image. I can't select it and get more information on the file because one of my computer's problems at his time is that the finder and spotlight search are disabled. If it already has been given the name (07) then it must have information on it?

Anyone know what they would do in a situation like this? I would prefer to just burn the entire HD to a DVD, ,, thanks!

dnanian
08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
We can't copy to DVD, sorry: we don't support optical media. And, backing up to your desktop is a bad idea since your desktop is your internal drive...

doofmaczemy
08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
ok,
Just out of curiousity though, any idea why Superduper chose '07' as the disc image? Is it possible '07' is one of my own images? Maybe it writes a new one?

dnanian
08-02-2007, 04:07 PM
We didn't pick that, no. I don't know why it says that unless you chose it yourself.

doofmaczemy
08-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Well there's a lot i don't know,

I just want to know if i choose this option, whether backing up to the same internal or another internal drive, (the latter will probably have to be my first step) what exactly is going to be erased?

How do i choose NOT to erase something? ( I cannot agree to erase anything until i have made an actual copy of it! It wouldn't make any sense! ):(

dnanian
08-02-2007, 09:20 PM
If you use "Disk Image..." and store it on a drive, nothing will be erased. The image will be placed alongside your other files. See "Storing a backup alongside other files on a destination drive" in the User's Guide.

doofmaczemy
08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
okay thanks!:)