PDA

View Full Version : Disk upgrade...

MarkHolbrook
07-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I've searched but don't see a direct answer to this seemingly typical question:

I have a MBP with the 120gb drive in it. It's just too small. About weekly I do a SuperDuper smart clone of this drive to an external Lacie 250gb FW drive.

When I first created the backup it would boot ok but I'll check it again.

I took the plunge and ordered an internal 250gb drive for my MBP.

Obviously I want to clone back from the Lacie to the internal once it is installed and functional.

Questions:

1) I've been doing smart clones. Before I'm ready to do the whole swap should I do a FULL copy from the internal to the external and then verify that it is bootable?

2) Do I need to do anything to the freshly installed 250gb disk like disk utility and format to prep it for the clone back?

3) Is there a procedure you can recommend that hopefully will result in success in this process? IE setting permissions, testing bootable clone, etc.?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mark

dnanian
07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
1) No, just make sure you can start up off the existing copy.

2) I'd partition it appropriately (GUID) and erase and zero it to re-map any bad sectors.

3) Just name it the same as the original drive.

MarkHolbrook
07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Excellent... Thanks!

MarkHolbrook
08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I just wanted to add that my disk upgrade went PERFECT!!!

The only thing that I would say SuperDuper could do better is when large files copy give some kind of on screen indication that it is still alive. Anything... A flashing "Large File" icon would even do.

I started my copy only to believe it hung. I rebooted and searched this forum and found the post about not updating status during large file copies and I do have several BIG ones from Parallels and VMWare. It would be nice to know that SuperDuper is still working away.

Thanks again!

M

dnanian
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear it, Mark!