PDA

View Full Version : Boot from partition?

marieboyer
07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
I need to buy a new backup drive. For some reason my Maxtor is not bootable all of a sudden. On my most recent backup, Superduper copied everything over but the drive will not boot even though it has booted before. (I got the following message: "The disk you inserted was not readable by the computer.")

I was looking at a 500 gig hard drive today for a good price. Can I partition that drive and make a bootable drive on it or is it preferred to boot from a non-partitioned (and therefore smaller) drive?

Thanks for your help. Hope I am posting this newb question in the right place.

-- iMac intel. brand new Mac user.

dnanian
07-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Partitions are no problem. I suggest a number of brands in my User's Guide -- readily available ones include the Maxtor OneTouch III, Western Digital MyBook Pro and LaCie (non-Porsche). Get a FireWire drive!

marieboyer
07-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I am about to order this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7643099&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat118300050014&id=1134698030541

Will it be bootable? Ya think?

Thanks in advance!

dnanian
07-12-2007, 09:04 PM
As long as you partition it appropriately for your Mac (GUID for Intel, APM for Power PC), yes.

marieboyer
07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks Dave!

p.s. The whole idea of getting me logged-into the forum was so I would not bother you with emails! I guess you da man!

dnanian
07-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Yep. All roads seem to lead to me. ;)

transco
07-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Partitions are no problem. I suggest a number of brands in my User's Guide -- readily available ones include the Maxtor OneTouch III, Western Digital MyBook Pro and LaCie (non-Porsche). Get a FireWire drive!

OK, so I'm going blind. I went through the Users Guide and can't find the list of recommended drives. Page #?

chris_johnsen
07-16-2007, 03:38 AM
OK, so I'm going blind. I went through the Users Guide and can't find the list of recommended drives. Page #?

I a short list of recommendations near the top of page 5, in the section titled Backing Up Your Macintosh for the First Time:

Our general advice is to get a FireWire drive from Other World Computing, WiebeTech, LaCie or a Maxtor OneTouch. We have tested these drives for compatibility, and all work well with the Mac.

--
Chris