PDA

View Full Version : Booting cloned MBP from Mini Mac

polarix
07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Hello,

we used SD to clone 2 MBP.

One MBP is the old version with ATI Graphic Card and the othe is the new version with Nvidia Card.

The cloned disk from the _old_ MBP boots without problems on our mac mini.

But the cloned disk from the _new_ MBP boots on our mac mini but the graphic display ist completly spoiled.

Maybe I could change the graphic driver manually on the cloned disk, but since I'm new to Mac I don't know if this is possible.

In my company we have 3 old MBP and 1 new on (my :-) ) we plan to use SD (and buy) for all of them.

I bought Retrospect already (it was a mistake), so I wan't to make sure that my backup concept works with SD.

BTW
The error situation occurs also with a cloned disk from retrospect. But Retrospect takes twice the time to clone a disk.

So I'm just looking for a hint, to fix the problem by work around.

regards

polarix

dnanian
07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
The new MBP has a special build of the OS that likely isn't fully compatible with all Macs. You'll want to wait until the next version of OSX comes out (e.g. 10.4.11 or whatever) where things sync back up.

In the meantime, if you find you need to restore to an "incompatible" Mac, use the Migration Assistant to migrate from the backup.

polarix
07-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Hello dnania,

tanks for this information,

I'll take a look at thos Migration Assistant.

Just for information.

We have stand-by-for emergency duties so our MBP are taken everywhere but they are also our regular Desktop PC's.
Thats why I want to have the ability to boot from a mac mini. Cause if the MBP is stolen, I'm unable to work, till a new one arives.
In this worst case it would be fine for me to use the Migration Assistant.

But it sometimes happens the one of my colleagues or my self, forget theire notebooks at home (for me it happend 1 time n 5 years), so it is a nice2have to simply use the mac mini instead.

So now I hoping the Apple will really fixs this issue. :-)

BTW
I ask my staffmember to order SD now.

regards

polarix

dnanian
07-11-2007, 12:55 PM
It can take a little while, after the release of new hardware, for the OS to "sync up", but once it does things should just work... otherwise, a packaged copy of OSX wouldn't be able to be installed! :)