PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled backup questions

Larry029VJZ
07-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi all,

I am considering downloading SuperDuper! and going for the paid version to get scheduling capability. I tried to download the User Guide pdf, but the download repeatedly failed. So I'm asking my questions here.

I understand from the FAQ that my Mac has to be booted up and a user must be logged in for the scheduled backup to work - and the scheduled backup must occur within a minute or so to ensure that the Mac doesn't go to sleep. What way(s) can I arrange to be logged in, if I want to schedule the backup during the time that I'm sleeping?

If I schedule a time for when I know I'll be logged in - how does my working on the Mac affect the backup?

Does it matter which account is logged in?

dnanian
07-03-2007, 08:36 PM
You can set a "wake" event for a minute before the backup to ensure the backup will run even if the Mac is sleeping. The account that has to be logged in is the one that the backup was scheduled under.

In general, you shouldn't use applications that use large databases (Entourage) or write to big files (downloading stuff, Parallels, VMWare, Virtual PC) while backing up.

Larry029VJZ
07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
You can set a "wake" event for a minute before the backup to ensure the backup will run even if the Mac is sleeping. ...

Since I usually power down overnight instead of sleeping the Mac, I guess I should make a new habit! I'll just use iCal to remind me to sleep the Mac on those evenings that I've scheduled a backup.